page top

red arrow bulletNews

Absentee ballots are available for April 5 referendum

Feb. 20,  2017

Absentee ballots are available for voters who are residents of the Monticello Central School District but will not be able to physically vote in their designated polling place on the day of the election.

To vote by absentee ballot, first you must apply. Get an application here or pick one up at the office of the district clerk at the Monticello Central School District Administration Building, 237 Forestburgh Road, Monticello, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. and 12:30 and 4 p.m. on school days.

Those voters on Sullivan County's Permanently Disabled List automatically receive an absentee ballot for each election and do not need to apply.

Completed applications must be received by the district clerk at least seven days before the vote (March 29, 2018) if the ballot is to be mailed to the voter. If the voter will pick up the ballot personally, the district must receive the application by the day before the election (April 4, 2018).

Anyone may pick-up multiple absentee ballot applications, but only the voter can personally pick-up an absentee ballot.

Completed absentee ballots must be received by the district clerk no later than 5 p.m. on April 5, 2018.

For more information, contact the district clerk's office at 845-794-7700, ext. 70523, or email

Some frequently asked questions regarding absentee ballots:
Q: Do districts have to make absentee ballots available?
A: Yes. All school districts are required by law to make absentee ballots available to qualified voters for the election of school board members, school district public library trustees, the adoption of the annual budget, and school district public library budgets and referenda.
Q: Who is entitled to an absentee ballot?
A: Any qualified voter who is unable to vote in person due to illness or physical disability, hospitalization, incarceration (unless incarcerated for conviction of a felony), travel outside the voter’s county or city of residence for employment or business reasons, studies, or vacation on the day of the election.
Q: Can a resident with dual home ownership vote in person in one district and by absentee ballot in the other?
A: No. A person may have only one legal residence or domicile for purposes of voting at a school district election. Without proof of permanent residence, the owner of a home within a school district would not be entitled to an absentee ballot.

In order to be legally qualified to vote in school elections, a person must be:
• A citizen of the United States.
• At least 18 years of age or older.
• A resident within the Monticello Central School District for at least 30 days immediately preceding the voting (must be your primary, permanent residence).
• Registered to vote. The registration of voters is valid for a period of four years. If the resident has not voted within that period, they must re-register. All new residents must register to vote. Residents of the district who are registered to vote in a general election are eligible to vote at school district elections without further special school district registration.