page top

red arrow bulletFood Service

Guidelines for the Free and Reduced Program

1. All families who want to be considered for the Free and Reduced Meal Program (FRMP)  need to fill out an application and return it to the main office of their child's school as soon as possible.

Free and Reduced Meal Program applications in English and Spanish:

FRMP Application (PDF)

FRMP Application - Spanish (PDF)

2. All forms must be filled out completely and signed. That includes income, address, Social Security number, children’s names, grade, school and all people living in the household and their income (where applicable). If you are on public assistance, your Food Stamp case number or TANF/FDPIR case number is required.

3. Last year's eligibility and pricing expires on September 30. To remain eligible beyond that date, a new FRMP application must be filed for the new school year.

You must fill out a new form every year. Families must apply for the Free and Reduced Meal Program each year even if they participated during the previous school year. If a new FRMP application form is not received, your child will be required to pay full price.

All students are sent home with a form during the first week of school. Only one form per family is required, but it must list all the children.

If you do not receive a form or have questions, please call the Food Service Department Department at 845-794-8840, ext. 10970.

More Information about the Free and Reduced Meal Program

Students of all ages - from kindergarten through grade 12 - need to eat well in order to maintain peak performance in school.

Healthy, nutritious, kid-appealing meals are offered each day through the school breakfast and lunch program in the Monticello Central School District.

Children from households that meet Federal Income Guidelines are eligible for free meals or reduced price meals. Reduced price meals cost each eligible student $.25 for breakfast and $.25 for lunch. View the Federal Income Guidelines at:

The district will let you know when your application is approved or denied.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to fill out an application for each child?

No. Complete the application to apply for free or reduced price meals.

Who can get free meals?

Children in households getting Food Stamps or TANF and most foster children can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free price meals if your household income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.

Each foster child must be listed on a separate application, with Part 2 completed and with an adult's signature.

Can homeless, runaway and migrant children get free meals?

Please call the school district to see if your child(ren) qualify if you have not been informed that they will get free meals.

Who can get reduced price meals?

Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Income Guidelines chart (linked from above)

I get Women, Infants and Child (WIC), can my child(ren) get free meals?

Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application.

Will the information I give be checked?

The school may ask you at any time during the school year to verify your eligibility. You will be notified, in writing, if you have been selected for verification. School officials may ask you to send papers showing that your child should receive free or reduce price meals at the time you applied.

If I do not qualify now, may I apply later?

Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start getting Food Stamps, TANF or other benefits. If you lose your job, your children may be able to get free or reduced price meals.

What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?

You should talk to school officials. Inquiries and questions should be made to School Lunch Manager Andrew Yeomans at 845-794-8840 Ext. 10970.

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?

Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

Who should I include as members of my household?

You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives or friends). You must include yourself and all children who live with you.

What if my income is not always the same?

List the amount that you normally get. For example, if you normally get $1,000 each month but you missed some work last month and only got $900, list that you get $1,000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you only get it sometimes.

How to Apply

To get free or reduced price meals for your children you may submit a Direct Certification letter received from the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance, OR carefully complete the application for your household and return it to the designated office. If you now receive food stamps, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) for any children, or participate in the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), the application must include the children’s names, the household food stamp, TANF or FDPIR number and the signature of an adult household member. All children with the same case number may be listed on the same application.

Separate applications are required for children with different case numbers. If you do not list a food stamp, TANF or FDPIR number for all the children for whom you are applying, the application must include the names of everyone in the household, the amount of income for each household member, and how often it is received and where it comes from. It must include the signature of an adult household member and that adult’s social security number, or the word “none” if the adult does not have a social security number. An application that is not complete cannot be approved. Contact your local Department of Social Services for your food stamp or TANF number or complete the income portion of the application.

Reporting Changes

The benefits that you are approved for at the time of application are effective for the entire school year. You no longer need to report changes for an increase in income or decrease in household size, or if you no longer receive food stamps.

Income Exclusions

The value of any childcare provided or arranged, or any amount received as payment for such childcare or reimbursement for costs incurred for such care under the Child Care and Development (Block Grant) Fund should not be considered as income for this program.

Nondiscrimination Statement

This explains what to do if you believe you have been treated unfairly. In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington DC 20250-9410 or call 202-720-5964 (voice and TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Meal Service to Children with Disabilities

Federal regulations require schools and institutions to serve meals at no extra charge to children with a disability which may restrict their diet. A student with a disability is defined in 7CFR Part 15b.3 of Federal regulations, as one who has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities. Major life activities are defined to include functions such as caring for one’s self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.

You must request the special meals from the school and provide the school with medical certification from a medical doctor. If you believe your child needs substitutions because of a disability, please get in touch with us for further information, as there is specific information that the medical certification must contain.


The United States Department of Agriculture has approved the release of students names and eligibility status, without parent/guardian consent, to persons directly connected with the administration or enforcement of federal education programs such as Title I and the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), which are United States Department of Education programs used to determine areas such as the allocation of funds to schools, to evaluate socioeconomic status of the school’s attendance area, and to assess educational progress. Information may also be released to State health or State education programs administered by the State agency or local education agency, provided the State or local education agency administers the program, and federal State or local nutrition programs similar to the National School Lunch Program.

Additionally, all information contained in the free and reduced price application may be released to persons directly connected with the administration or enforcement of programs authorized under the National School Lunch Act (NSLA) or Child Nutrition Act (CNA); including the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs, the Special Milk Program, the Child and Adult Care Food Program, Summer Food Service Program and the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women Infants and Children (WIC); the Comptroller General of the United States for audit purposes, and federal, State or local law enforcement officials investigating alleged violation of the programs under the NSLA or CNA.

The disclosure of eligibility information not specifically authorized by the NSLA requires a written consent statement from the parent/guardian.